Skip to main content

First Day of Preschool :)


Today is my darling daughter, Evelyn's, first day of Preschool. I am homeschooling and I am so excited about it! My husband and I made a decision even before our now 3 1/2 year old daughter was born that we would homeschool, and today was the first official step into that world. I have been working on our school room for about a month now, and have been accumulating curriculum and resources for the past year. I have lesson plans done and themes planned out. This is my heart <3

This week and next our theme is: All About Me/Creation. The Letter of the week is A and we will be reading "God Gave Us You" and "The Kitten Who Thought He Was A Mouse".

We began our day today with free play - watercolor and playing Alphabet Memory.

Next we moved on to Circle Time. We sang songs, did our Calendar, found letters in the alphabet, I assigned her a job for the day (Drink Pourer at Lunch), did "What Are You Feeling" - Evelyn said, Mad, Sad & Happy ;) and then read our Story - God Gave Us You. I talked with her about how much Mommy & Daddy wanted a baby, and how lucky we are that He gave us Evelyn Grace Powers!



I discussed that God created Evelyn exactly the way that she is. I measured her - she is 3 feet 4 inches tall! Then Evelyn laid down on a large piece of paper and I traced her body. She loved this part! Then she colored her body and I asked her some questions about the color of her hair, eyes, her favorite color and her best friend.

We moved on to our game/music time, in which we Played Charades, I Spy and did a few stretching games. We also sang "There is a girl we love so much and Evelyn is her name-o. E-V-E-L-Y-N." She is an expert at that song! We also sang the Phonix Song (Ah-Ah-Apple, Ba-Ba-Ball). Evelyn worked on writing her name and practicing the Letter A as well as tracing shapes. Then it was time to clean up and say goodbye. What a fantastic first day!

On a side note, Evelyn really enjoyed calling me "Teacher" ;)

Here are a couple observations that I will be adding to her Portfolio for the first day >

1. While playing Alphabet Memory Game, Evelyn picked the matching Upper Case & Lower Case "B" and said about the lower case b..."It looks different, but it is still a B"

2. During Circle Time, Evelyn was asked to find the Letter "Y" on the alphabet Poster. She looked and then said, this is a "Y" making a V with two fingers and adding her other index finger to the bottom.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Day I Failed At Motherhood

It was a Monday morning. The weekend had been filled with busyness, it felt as though we had not even had one moment to catch our breath and the week was upon us once again. I awoke to a house that was disheveled by the hustle and bustle of running in and out from one engagement to the next. Okay , I thought, I am going to whip this house into shape ! I am one of those people who simply cannot relax or enjoy my day if my house is in disarray (thanks, Mom!). I fed the kiddos breakfast and immediately got to work. I enlisted the help of the children. I was working on the dishes and kitchen clean-up and I asked my almost four year old and my five year old to pick up all the toys in the living room and vacuum. My five year old daughter LOVES to vacuum - and it works as a great incentive to get things picked up off the floor. After a few minutes I heard her turn the vacuum on, and I continued on my busy way finishing up the kitchen. A short while later, after the hum of the vacuum

God Changed My Mind About Modesty

I was recently sitting in a mall food court with my fifteen month old daughter, as my husband waited in line for the carousel with our older two. As the ride came to a stop, there was a group of young girls riding on horses directly in front of me. I noticed that the one little girl (who was maybe 8 or 9) was wearing very short shorts - as in you could not even tell she was wearing anything when she was sitting on the horse. To make matters worse, when she raised herself up off the horse, her entire bottom was exposed! I cringed and felt sick to my stomach as I peered around at the hundreds of people in the busy mall food court who may have just witnessed it as well. The little girl adjusted her shorts and went on her way, but I couldn't shake the sick feeling I had - the thought that someone in the mall could have enjoyed seeing that little girl like that... I know that "wardrobe malfunctions" may happen sometimes. Even when dressed modestly, the wind can blow up a

3 Tips for the Newlywed Wife

Today I am celebrating 8 years of marriage to my husband... {Our Wedding Day ~ May 7th, 2005} I am certainly NOT a marriage expert, and still make many mistakes (just ask my husband!). We have seen ups and downs in these eight years - financial hardships, unemployment, lots of closed doors...but God has been faithful and I am truly blessed with a wonderful marriage. I have {sorta} figured a few things out...especially from those newlywed days. The first few months of my marriage were a challenge and a huge adjustment. So, I have a few words of advice for newlywed wives, from a {slightly} more experienced wife: It is okay to mourn your former life.  My husband and I had been married for about a week, we were not taking a honeymoon for a few weeks until my husband finished school that year, so life had just continued on as "normal" after our wedding. Except...it wasn't normal. A week before I had been an unmarried 20 year old girl living with my parents, s