Skip to main content

A Heavenly Mother


I have shared this story in another post before, but I felt led to share it again for Mother's Day. It is such a beautiful example of God's love for us, how far He will go to reach us and how He cares for us just like a mother does. 

{Last year, I fell while hiking during what was supposed to be a relaxing getaway to Hocking Hills. I ended up with a broken left foot and sprained right ankle. I could not bear any weight on either foot for the first few weeks. It was a trying time - I learned many lessons in patience, humility and trust. That is where this story begins...

All three of my children were napping, Evelyn and Beckett in their rooms, and Annabel in her glider in the living room. I was on the loveseat with my feat propped up on pillows. Ben had left to run some errands while the kids were sleeping. He had set me up with the remotes, computer, my cell phone and some water...but there was one thing we had forgotten - Annabel was across the room from me.

I heard her begin to stir and immediately realized my predicament. I called Ben, but he was already about 15 minutes away, so he decided to call my dad, since he was only about 5 minutes away. Within a couple of minutes Annabel was full blown crying. I started to panic...how could I get to her? I looked at the wheelchair a few feet away and determined to reach it. It took quite a bit of stretching but I grabbed and pulled it to myself. Here was the next hurdle...getting up off of the loveseat by myself. I tried and tried, but my sprained ankle just wasn't strong enough to do it. By now Annabel was hysterical and I was too. I was crying and freaking out...I had to get to my child. She was alone and needed me and didn't understand why no one was coming to her rescue.

I thought my dad should be arriving soon, but when Annabel began gagging, I had to move! A lightbulb went off and I knew that no matter how desperate or degrading it might seem, it was my best chance of getting to my sweet girl. And so...I got onto my hands and knees...and I crawled to my baby (keeping my broken foot elevated - quite a workout!).

I reached her, and I pulled her up to my chest, crying and trying to calm and soothe her. "It's okay, baby, mommy's got you now. Mommy's here." I knew there was still a challenge that lay ahead, because she needed to nurse, and if I sat on the floor - with my broken foot and sprained ankle - I may never get back up. The couch was only a few feet away. So I crawled just on my knees, while I carried her to the couch, in agony as I dragged my broken foot. I reached the couch, but realized I didn't know how I would get onto it. I laid Annabel on the couch, placed my knee up on the cushion, grabbed ahold of the back of the couch and pulled myself up onto it (another good workout!). 

Finally, I had made it! I picked Annabel up, and began to nurse her. She felt comforted. We both relaxed immediately. (My dad walked in a few minutes later, he had gotten stuck in traffic.) I could have felt sorry for myself. I could have been frustrated with the situation. But, I realized that it didn't matter. My child needed me, and I had gotten to her - in spite of my circumstances. I love her more than I pity myself. 

You see no matter how difficult or impossible it seemed, there was no other way - I had to reach my child. I was desperate to get to her. God is just as desperate to reach us when we are in need. He sent His son - when it seemed impossible, He made a way to reach us. And Jesus didn't feel sorry for himself...He loves us so much that He was willing to go to extremes to reach us. 

Wherever you are - whatever circumstances you are in...God wants to reach you. If you feel alone, and need to be rescued - He will come to you - to the depths of your sorrow, worry, anger, hurt...and He will pick you up. "It's okay, my child, Daddy's got you now. Daddy's here." And He will carry you away, and give you the comfort you need. You can lay your head on His chest, and rest in Him. 

. . . you will be nursed, you will be carried on the hip and fondled on the knees. As one whom his mother comforts, so I will comfort you . . .” – Isaiah 66:12-13


{My Sister, My Mom & Me}



Here are a few posts that I hope will encourage you this Mother's Day >

 


Don't forget to grab your FREE 

Have a blessed Mother's Day!!





Comments

  1. I love this story. I broke one ankle and sprained the other 4 years ago, so I can identify with your inability to move. My children are grown, so I never had the panic you experienced, but I can still identify. What a wonderful analogy to Christ's care for us. Thanks so much for linking this up to T.G.I.F. I know others who read it will be as blessed as I was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gail for your lovely comment :) I can honestly say I would never want to go back to that time with the broken foot/sprained ankle - and I pray it never happens again! I really appreciate you hosting the link party. Have a wonderful Mother's Day!

      Delete

Post a Comment

I really appreciate your comment! I read every one and try to reply in a timely fashion. Have a blessed day :)

Popular posts from this blog

The Day I Failed At Motherhood

It was a Monday morning. The weekend had been filled with busyness, it felt as though we had not even had one moment to catch our breath and the week was upon us once again. I awoke to a house that was disheveled by the hustle and bustle of running in and out from one engagement to the next. Okay , I thought, I am going to whip this house into shape ! I am one of those people who simply cannot relax or enjoy my day if my house is in disarray (thanks, Mom!). I fed the kiddos breakfast and immediately got to work. I enlisted the help of the children. I was working on the dishes and kitchen clean-up and I asked my almost four year old and my five year old to pick up all the toys in the living room and vacuum. My five year old daughter LOVES to vacuum - and it works as a great incentive to get things picked up off the floor. After a few minutes I heard her turn the vacuum on, and I continued on my busy way finishing up the kitchen. A short while later, after the hum of the vacuum

God Changed My Mind About Modesty

I was recently sitting in a mall food court with my fifteen month old daughter, as my husband waited in line for the carousel with our older two. As the ride came to a stop, there was a group of young girls riding on horses directly in front of me. I noticed that the one little girl (who was maybe 8 or 9) was wearing very short shorts - as in you could not even tell she was wearing anything when she was sitting on the horse. To make matters worse, when she raised herself up off the horse, her entire bottom was exposed! I cringed and felt sick to my stomach as I peered around at the hundreds of people in the busy mall food court who may have just witnessed it as well. The little girl adjusted her shorts and went on her way, but I couldn't shake the sick feeling I had - the thought that someone in the mall could have enjoyed seeing that little girl like that... I know that "wardrobe malfunctions" may happen sometimes. Even when dressed modestly, the wind can blow up a

3 Tips for the Newlywed Wife

Today I am celebrating 8 years of marriage to my husband... {Our Wedding Day ~ May 7th, 2005} I am certainly NOT a marriage expert, and still make many mistakes (just ask my husband!). We have seen ups and downs in these eight years - financial hardships, unemployment, lots of closed doors...but God has been faithful and I am truly blessed with a wonderful marriage. I have {sorta} figured a few things out...especially from those newlywed days. The first few months of my marriage were a challenge and a huge adjustment. So, I have a few words of advice for newlywed wives, from a {slightly} more experienced wife: It is okay to mourn your former life.  My husband and I had been married for about a week, we were not taking a honeymoon for a few weeks until my husband finished school that year, so life had just continued on as "normal" after our wedding. Except...it wasn't normal. A week before I had been an unmarried 20 year old girl living with my parents, s