Skip to main content

Moms Can Dream Too!



I am a mom of three rambunctious little ones. My life (er, lack there of!) revolves around these tiny beings living in my home and their constant demands. I mean seriously - a backstage celebrity is probably less demanding. They expect to be fed a few times day, cleaned, changed, engaged, entertained, etc. Can you believe that?!? ;)

Truthfully, it is the greatest joy and work of my life. But it can be overwhelming and exhausting at times. And in the midst of night-time nursing sessions and "Mommy, I'm thirsty" and never-ending math lessons and "What is on your hands?" and constantly wiping down the counters and "Absolutely NOT!" and mountains of laundry and "Mommy, I peed in my bed"...it is easy to morph into "Mommy-Bot" - aimlessly drudging through the day, meeting demands, doing chores and simply waiting for the day to end.

Add to that the countless other demands of a not-so-recovered people pleaser who says "yes" to way too much and turns into a fire-breathing dragon when the to-do list is so full that it weighs down on my lungs and I can't swallow or catch a breath. I become enslaved to a life of being overworked, overtired and over-committed and I ask myself, "Why am I doing this?" but it is too late to get out of it now.

In the dim light of the twilight hours, I look around at the chaos and the mess, and think to myself "I will tackle it tomorrow". I sit still for just a moment and if I listen really closely I hear a voice whisper...

"Who are you?" Ha! That's a good question. I am a mom. But it continues.
"Who are you?" I am a Pastor's wife.
"Who are you?" I am starting to get it. I am a daughter of the King.
"Who are you?" I am beloved. 
"Who are you?" I am a dreamer. 

Ah, yes. Dreams. Big dreams and hopes for the future. I am a wife and a mom - and it is truly a joy and honor to hold these titles, but I am not defined solely by them. I am also not defined by the mundane and earthly. I am defined by my God - the creator of the Universe who wants to make me like Him. I have been given gifts and talents and dreams. God is the creator of my dreams. Long ago He began to craft an ocean of creativity into my soul and every now and then after the demands have been met and chores have been done I feel that ocean begin to stir. And if I give it a little attention, waves will rise up and come crashing into my consciousness. And a dream is born. An idea is formulating. And I will sit down and write a blog, or design a sewing pattern, or grab my camera and snap some pictures, or sit at the piano and compose a song. Suddenly, those demands seem less demanding and those chores seem less bothersome.

I once had someone tell me that she did not believe moms or dads were supposed to dream. She felt that it was wrong for her or her husband to have dreams and hobbies outside of raising their children. They lived by this standard, and honestly - they were miserable. Drowning in the humdrum of each day. Resenting one another and their children.

Being a mom is one of my dreams. Homeschooling my children is one of my dreams. God has been so faithful to help me realize my dreams! I firmly believe that when you have young children, they need to be a priority. You need to be willing to put aside your own desires to meet the needs of your children. My husband and I are committed to our family coming first. Does that mean we have given up on dreams? Absolutely not. We know that a time will come when our children will not have so many demands and they will not need us in the same way that they do now. We also know that our children need to see that their dreams can become reality.

God himself had dreams and spoke the world into existence. He is able to be a loving Father, caring for His children, while also creating beauty in every moment. We will continue to dream every day. We will use the gifts and creativity that God has given us to live our lives and enjoy doing so! We will nurture our own dreams by taking the time for rest, rejuvenation and letting our spirits run free. We will encourage our children to dream and support them when they chase after those dreams. My dream may not happen tomorrow or even five years from now...but I will continue to dream and create and pursue - because maybe, just maybe, someday...

{I want to share with you about a dream that my husband and I have had. God laid it on our hearts to start a ministry to provide resources for Pastors and ministry leaders with freebies and deals. As a ministry family, we know the struggle it can be to have a thriving ministry on a budget - and thus...Thrifty Ministry was born.We would be so blessed and honored if you would go "like" the facebook page! Blessings to you!}

"Hey Pastors, Ministry Leaders, Church goers - come "like" the new page Thrifty Ministry! Providing daily deals, freebies and resources for churches and ministries (or anybody who likes christian materials). "Like" to see today's deals and share with your friends! https://www.facebook.com/thriftyministrycom"

Thank you for stopping by! Please leave a comment & share :)

Comments

  1. You've given me a lot to think about. I love submitting my dreams to the Lord and watching what he does with them. It's amazing, truly. God bless your new ministry. Heading over to Like it now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for sharing! It feels good to let myself dream :)

    Stopping by from the BetterMom link up!

    Marissa @ ourlittlefamblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is good for our souls to dream! Have a blessed day :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

I really appreciate your comment! I read every one and try to reply in a timely fashion. Have a blessed day :)

Popular posts from this blog

The Day I Failed At Motherhood

It was a Monday morning. The weekend had been filled with busyness, it felt as though we had not even had one moment to catch our breath and the week was upon us once again. I awoke to a house that was disheveled by the hustle and bustle of running in and out from one engagement to the next. Okay , I thought, I am going to whip this house into shape ! I am one of those people who simply cannot relax or enjoy my day if my house is in disarray (thanks, Mom!). I fed the kiddos breakfast and immediately got to work. I enlisted the help of the children. I was working on the dishes and kitchen clean-up and I asked my almost four year old and my five year old to pick up all the toys in the living room and vacuum. My five year old daughter LOVES to vacuum - and it works as a great incentive to get things picked up off the floor. After a few minutes I heard her turn the vacuum on, and I continued on my busy way finishing up the kitchen. A short while later, after the hum of the vacuum

God Changed My Mind About Modesty

I was recently sitting in a mall food court with my fifteen month old daughter, as my husband waited in line for the carousel with our older two. As the ride came to a stop, there was a group of young girls riding on horses directly in front of me. I noticed that the one little girl (who was maybe 8 or 9) was wearing very short shorts - as in you could not even tell she was wearing anything when she was sitting on the horse. To make matters worse, when she raised herself up off the horse, her entire bottom was exposed! I cringed and felt sick to my stomach as I peered around at the hundreds of people in the busy mall food court who may have just witnessed it as well. The little girl adjusted her shorts and went on her way, but I couldn't shake the sick feeling I had - the thought that someone in the mall could have enjoyed seeing that little girl like that... I know that "wardrobe malfunctions" may happen sometimes. Even when dressed modestly, the wind can blow up a

3 Tips for the Newlywed Wife

Today I am celebrating 8 years of marriage to my husband... {Our Wedding Day ~ May 7th, 2005} I am certainly NOT a marriage expert, and still make many mistakes (just ask my husband!). We have seen ups and downs in these eight years - financial hardships, unemployment, lots of closed doors...but God has been faithful and I am truly blessed with a wonderful marriage. I have {sorta} figured a few things out...especially from those newlywed days. The first few months of my marriage were a challenge and a huge adjustment. So, I have a few words of advice for newlywed wives, from a {slightly} more experienced wife: It is okay to mourn your former life.  My husband and I had been married for about a week, we were not taking a honeymoon for a few weeks until my husband finished school that year, so life had just continued on as "normal" after our wedding. Except...it wasn't normal. A week before I had been an unmarried 20 year old girl living with my parents, s