Skip to main content

Who Are You?



I see you. 

I know you. 

I've been you. 
I am you. 

I see you at the birthday party sitting by yourself. Tending lovingly to your children, with a deep longing in your eyes. You gaze at the moms on the opposite side of the room, their arms waving, laughs bellowing and you think, Why won't they talk to me? What don't they like about me?

I know you sit at home some nights and cry, wishing that you had just one friend that you could share your life's story with. A friend you could call when life is overwhelming, or when you've had a bad day. A soul sister...a kindred spirit. 

I've been there, taking everything personally. Assuming that everyone is talking about you or is against you. You wish that they would invest in your life. You wish that they would think of you. But then again, you don't like yourself very much - so why would they?

I am you. I aim to always please. I say 'yes' far too often and want everyone to like me. I internalize everything you say, and am way to introspective. I assume that I am always the one at fault. I weigh my words and go over them a million times before I speak or write. I struggle to let it go, and want to talk about it for hours and hours. 

But then I am reminded - I am not her. I am not that woman. The enemy might want me to believe that I am - but who I am is so much more than a people pleasing, non-confrontational, introvert. I am daughter of the most high King. I am a wife, a mother, a daughter, a sister and a friend. I am a singer. I am a writer. I love decorating. I love taking pictures. I love baking cookies. I like to have dance parties in the living room with my children. I am a determined person - I endured 50 hours of labor to birth my baby girl. I am so so many things...

My value is not measured by how many friends I have or whether someone talked to me. My value comes from the One who created me with the same hands that spun this world into existence. He says I am valuable enough that He give up His son's life for me. My worth is not determined by saying 'yes' enough times or by how carefully I crafted the words on this very page. I am worthy of love and blessing only because of His unbelievable grace. He says I am worth saving, worth redeeming, worth eternity. 

You are who He says you are. Nothing less. Do you see the beauty in His masterful creation each day? He didn't create a "dud" when He formed you in your mother's womb. You are fearfully and wonderfully made. Don't cheat yourself into believing the lies this world so easily hurls at you. Stop depending on anyone else for your happiness and joy. They will always disappoint. Jesus never will. He wants to wrap you up in His tender goodness and sweet grace. Rest in Him and know that who you are is summed up by these three words...You are His

"Are not five sparrows sold for two pennies? And not one of them is forgotten before God. Why, even the hairs of your head are all numbered. Fear not; you are of more value than many sparrows." Luke 12:6-7

Comments

  1. Most of the words you spoke were word for word how I feel sometimes...thanks for putting things into perspective. I love your writings!! Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I really appreciate your comment! I read every one and try to reply in a timely fashion. Have a blessed day :)

Popular posts from this blog

The Day I Failed At Motherhood

It was a Monday morning. The weekend had been filled with busyness, it felt as though we had not even had one moment to catch our breath and the week was upon us once again. I awoke to a house that was disheveled by the hustle and bustle of running in and out from one engagement to the next. Okay , I thought, I am going to whip this house into shape ! I am one of those people who simply cannot relax or enjoy my day if my house is in disarray (thanks, Mom!). I fed the kiddos breakfast and immediately got to work. I enlisted the help of the children. I was working on the dishes and kitchen clean-up and I asked my almost four year old and my five year old to pick up all the toys in the living room and vacuum. My five year old daughter LOVES to vacuum - and it works as a great incentive to get things picked up off the floor. After a few minutes I heard her turn the vacuum on, and I continued on my busy way finishing up the kitchen. A short while later, after the hum of the vacuum

God Changed My Mind About Modesty

I was recently sitting in a mall food court with my fifteen month old daughter, as my husband waited in line for the carousel with our older two. As the ride came to a stop, there was a group of young girls riding on horses directly in front of me. I noticed that the one little girl (who was maybe 8 or 9) was wearing very short shorts - as in you could not even tell she was wearing anything when she was sitting on the horse. To make matters worse, when she raised herself up off the horse, her entire bottom was exposed! I cringed and felt sick to my stomach as I peered around at the hundreds of people in the busy mall food court who may have just witnessed it as well. The little girl adjusted her shorts and went on her way, but I couldn't shake the sick feeling I had - the thought that someone in the mall could have enjoyed seeing that little girl like that... I know that "wardrobe malfunctions" may happen sometimes. Even when dressed modestly, the wind can blow up a

3 Tips for the Newlywed Wife

Today I am celebrating 8 years of marriage to my husband... {Our Wedding Day ~ May 7th, 2005} I am certainly NOT a marriage expert, and still make many mistakes (just ask my husband!). We have seen ups and downs in these eight years - financial hardships, unemployment, lots of closed doors...but God has been faithful and I am truly blessed with a wonderful marriage. I have {sorta} figured a few things out...especially from those newlywed days. The first few months of my marriage were a challenge and a huge adjustment. So, I have a few words of advice for newlywed wives, from a {slightly} more experienced wife: It is okay to mourn your former life.  My husband and I had been married for about a week, we were not taking a honeymoon for a few weeks until my husband finished school that year, so life had just continued on as "normal" after our wedding. Except...it wasn't normal. A week before I had been an unmarried 20 year old girl living with my parents, s