Skip to main content

I am Not a Disappointment



You call me out upon the waters, the great unknown where feet may fail...

You asked us to...and so we stepped out - in faith. We walked away from Pastoral ministry, walked away from our home, walked away from comfort, walked away from "normal". We were scared - but we wanted something radical, we were done with mundane. Still, I heard the voices...

You are failures.

You are ruining your kids' lives.


I knew they were lies. You told us - job, home, church. Quickly You provided a job for Ben. We moved into an RV - 6 people in less than 500 square feet of space. My brother and sister-in-law allowed us to park the RV next to their barn. We worked hard to make it feel like a home, and we began to settle in. We found a church that welcomed us - not because we were Pastors, not because we were doing anything for them - but simply because.

And there I find you in the mystery, in oceans deep, my faith will stand...

We started to see the light at the end of a long and stressful tunnel. And then the knock came at the door, the knock that threatened our new little slice of comfort. Zoning was called. We had two weeks to either move out of the RV, or move the RV off the property. We didn't understand why this was happening. What will we do? Where will we go?

I will call upon your name, and keep my eyes above the waves, when Oceans rise...

We prayed that You would provide a new home, or a new place to park the RV. You're so good, You provided both. A wonderfully generous family from our new church - whom we had never even met, graciously offered to let us move the RV onto their property. I cannot even begin to explain how much it moved us to see Your love in full action - ready to meet our needs. My brother & sister-in-law were already planning to renovate their basement, and also offered to move up their renovation schedule so that we could move into their basement.

My soul will rest in your embrace, for I am yours, and you are mine...

We prayed about it and decided that it would be best for the kids to stay where we already were, close to their cousins and move into the basement. So after a whirlwind couple of weeks, we moved out of the RV, into the basement and put the RV up for sale. Yes, you heard that right - the RV we had just spent 6 weeks remodeling, we were now going to say goodbye to...Again the voices came...

You have failed.

You are a disappointment.

But Your grace enveloped us. You said, keep following, Keep trusting. It wasn't easy. It isn't easy. I haven't told very many people about what is going on. I was ashamed. Embarrassed. I wanted to wait until it was all nicely tied up with a bow. You know - we went through this really hard time, but now we're on the other side. We walked through deep waters, but now we're on the shore and sun is shining! But that's not where we are - we are still in the depths of the water - treading. Multiple calls of interest to buy the RV, and multiple no-shows...it has not sold yet.

Your grace abounds in deepest waters, your sovereign hand will be my guide. Where feet may fail and fear surrounds me, you've never failed and you wont start now...

We spent last evening with a few family and friends, worshiping and sharing our hearts. As I shared, You began to speak through a sweet new friend. I am not a disappointment. You are proud of me. We have not failed. You are proud of us. I am not an embarrassment. I am your daughter, in whom you are pleased. We stepped out in faith - we actually put action to our words. We said, we'll follow your lead - and we are. It doesn't look like we thought it would - but that doesn't mean it's not your good and perfect will for us. Just like a baby taking their first steps, the mother is not disappointed when they fall - we rejoice for the steps they took. You are rejoicing over our step of faith. we still don't know what the future holds, what comes next...and that's okay. I began to think of the song, "Oceans" (Hillsong) - a song that has meant so much to us lately and what if I really meant the words? What if I'm actually living the lyrics to that song?

Spirit lead me where my trust is without borders, let me walk upon the waters WHEREVER you would call me. 
Take me deeper than my feet could ever wander, and my faith will be made stronger, in the presence of my savior. 

Walking. Stumbling. Trusting. Blindly. Following. Farther. Deeper. Closer...

May we ever trust you more. When we are in the wilderness, there is nothing else to do but simply rest in knowing that You've got us...You've got this.








Comments

  1. We can relate....our hearts go out to you - and we rejoice as you grow in Him!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I really appreciate your comment! I read every one and try to reply in a timely fashion. Have a blessed day :)

Popular posts from this blog

The Day I Failed At Motherhood

It was a Monday morning. The weekend had been filled with busyness, it felt as though we had not even had one moment to catch our breath and the week was upon us once again. I awoke to a house that was disheveled by the hustle and bustle of running in and out from one engagement to the next. Okay , I thought, I am going to whip this house into shape ! I am one of those people who simply cannot relax or enjoy my day if my house is in disarray (thanks, Mom!). I fed the kiddos breakfast and immediately got to work. I enlisted the help of the children. I was working on the dishes and kitchen clean-up and I asked my almost four year old and my five year old to pick up all the toys in the living room and vacuum. My five year old daughter LOVES to vacuum - and it works as a great incentive to get things picked up off the floor. After a few minutes I heard her turn the vacuum on, and I continued on my busy way finishing up the kitchen. A short while later, after the hum of the vacuum

God Changed My Mind About Modesty

I was recently sitting in a mall food court with my fifteen month old daughter, as my husband waited in line for the carousel with our older two. As the ride came to a stop, there was a group of young girls riding on horses directly in front of me. I noticed that the one little girl (who was maybe 8 or 9) was wearing very short shorts - as in you could not even tell she was wearing anything when she was sitting on the horse. To make matters worse, when she raised herself up off the horse, her entire bottom was exposed! I cringed and felt sick to my stomach as I peered around at the hundreds of people in the busy mall food court who may have just witnessed it as well. The little girl adjusted her shorts and went on her way, but I couldn't shake the sick feeling I had - the thought that someone in the mall could have enjoyed seeing that little girl like that... I know that "wardrobe malfunctions" may happen sometimes. Even when dressed modestly, the wind can blow up a

3 Tips for the Newlywed Wife

Today I am celebrating 8 years of marriage to my husband... {Our Wedding Day ~ May 7th, 2005} I am certainly NOT a marriage expert, and still make many mistakes (just ask my husband!). We have seen ups and downs in these eight years - financial hardships, unemployment, lots of closed doors...but God has been faithful and I am truly blessed with a wonderful marriage. I have {sorta} figured a few things out...especially from those newlywed days. The first few months of my marriage were a challenge and a huge adjustment. So, I have a few words of advice for newlywed wives, from a {slightly} more experienced wife: It is okay to mourn your former life.  My husband and I had been married for about a week, we were not taking a honeymoon for a few weeks until my husband finished school that year, so life had just continued on as "normal" after our wedding. Except...it wasn't normal. A week before I had been an unmarried 20 year old girl living with my parents, s